That’s where this 10 minute coconut spinach soup comes in.
The thing about soup is that it can take hours or minutes. Whether you’re putting together a beef and lentil soup, a French onion soup or a vegetable based soup, the cooking times can vary anywhere from 2 hours to 10 minutes. This soup is the latter of the two.
This is for those times when you have that crazy hungry look in your eyes…
…you may have developed the classic case of “hangry” (when blood sugar levels drop and you become angry for what may seems like no apparent reason).
It also happens to be great when you just want something quick, satisfying and loaded with healthy greens. But what I love most about this soup is that unlike so many vegetable based soups, it won’t leave you hungry an hour after eating.
It’s also a great use of that vegetable stock I did on TV Tuesday last week.
Coconut Spinach Soup (DF,Vegan)
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cups coconut milk (or one can)
- 8 cups fresh organic spinach
- salt to taste (depends how salty the broth is, I used ¾ tsp salt)
For instructions, please see video. Optional: Garnish with Yogurt/Coconut Cilantro Sauce and crushed pistachios.
Optional and fun substitutions for spinach:
- 2 cups of roasted squash and 2 Tbsp of curry powder, garnish with cilantro and chopped green onions
- 4 cups of cauliflower and 1/2 tsp cardamom, garnish with cashews
- 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes, 1 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp chili powder and 1 Tbsp lemon juice (add lemon juice at the end)
Yogurt Cilantro Sauce
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt (DF: reserve a 1/4 cup of coconut milk from the recipe above and use it here)
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
Finely chop the cilantro and mix with yogurt. Season with salt and pepper. Use as a garnish to the Coconut Spinach Soup.