I am so pleased to introduce Tessa. One of the first ‘friends’ I made on this crazy thing called the internet. Her website offers endless, seriously ENDLESS allergen free recipes. Whatever allergies you might have, she’s got a recipe that can help. Which is no small thing considering we’re talking about casein, gluten, corn, sugar free and Paleo. Most surprisingly is that there is no shortage of baking and treats on her sight that can fit almost any dietary restrictions. So you can have fun too.
Thank you everyone for welcoming Tessa from TessaTheDomesticDiva.com
This recipe was born of a flavor combination of a shortbread cookie I had in my past: a truly magical combination of Brazil nuts and lime.
Before those cookies…Brazil nuts were very under appreciated in my world. Now I wonder how I didn’t always love them. SO buttery and SO nutritious!
Just two Brazil nuts gives you enough of the trace mineral selenium’s RDA…a nutrient key in the function of your thyroid and metabolism and very hard to get in our food. It is also a great antioxidant, combating those free radicals we encounter in our day-to-day lives.
Hemp hearts are another nutritious addition, touted for their highly digestible protein content, as well as containing all 9 essential amino acids. It also has high amounts of essential fatty acids.
Since I am always looking for new and creative grab and go snacks, this one was a fun one for me. A twist on some of my family’s favorites, but in a totally new flavor profile. Your taste buds will thank you for something new and fresh!
METHOD NOTE: To toast your own coconut shreds, you can:
- Place them in a preheated heavy bottomed pan over medium heat. Stirring frequently, wait for the shreds to toast and turn golden, 5-10 minutes
- OR place the shreds on a cookie sheet, spread thin, in a preheated 350 degree. It should take around 10 minutes. Watch them carefully so they do not burn, and remove when they start to turn golden and toasted!
Paleo Brazil Nuts, Lime and Hemp Power Bars
- 1/2 cup whole brazil nuts
- 1/2 cup pitted Medjool dates (about 6)
- 1/4 cup coconut butter (see my links on how to make your own above
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 1 cup unsweetened & toasted coconut shreds (see above notes for method)
- Zest of one lime
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Stevia to sweeten (totally optional, I like these as is)
- In the bowl of a food processor, place the brazil nuts, dates, coconut butter and hemp hearts.
- Process to create a chunky, but cohesive mixture, or until the dates are indistinguishable.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and process until well blended and the mixture willingly presses together.
- Press into a wax paper lined mini loaf pan (or any pan, I like my thicker and smaller!) You can also roll little balls, as you prefer.
- Firm them up in the fridge, cut and store in an airtight container, in the fridge or freezer.